Today is the 70th birthday of one of my favourite film directors, Steven Spielberg. His movies have been in my life for as long as I can remember – ET was the first film I ever saw at the cinema – so to celebrate here’s my rundown of his 10 best. Click the links for full reviews…
10. Catch Me If You Can (2002) – a vibrant, dynamic, fun and likeable caper movie.
9. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984) – a terrifically enjoyable adventure movie.
8. Schindler’s List (1993) – a tough watch, but a necessary one.
7. The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn (2011) – a glorious, glorious triumph.
6. Jurassic Park (1993) – a sensationally entertaining blockbuster of a B-movie.
5. A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001) – probably Spielberg’s strangest film; certainly his most underrated.
4. Jaws (1975) – there’s plenty of humanity, as well as terror and excitement; a masterpiece.
3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989) – a riot from start to finish.
2. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) – an astonishing achievement, a timeless gem.
1. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) – it’s difficult to think of a more thrilling, more captivating, more downright enjoyable adventure ride of a film.